Pre-Workshop: Getting Started with Python for Data Analysis
We are excited that you've signed up for the Getting Started with Python for Data Analysis workshop! This page contains the two things you'll need to be ready for the workshop: the pre-workshop survey and the installation instructions.
We highly recommend you complete both at least 2 days before the workshop. This way we have time to resolve any installation issues that may arise. Let us know if you have any problems:
For this workshop we recommend installing the Anaconda Python Distribution which supports Windows, Mac, and Linux. This single all-in-one installer includes:
- Many of the useful data analaysis packages
- Jupyter Notebook, which is the environment we will use in the workshop
All of this will be explained in the workshop. For now, we need you to download and install Anaconda.
1. Anaconda Python Distribution
- Navigate to https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/#download-section with your web browser and download the Python 3.x installer (e.g. Python 3.7).
- Run the installer using all the default installation options.
Note for Linux Users: Running the installer requires using the shell, as described here.
Send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need support with this step.
2. Browser Compatibility
The Jupyter Notebook runs in the browser and supports: Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Up to date versions of Opera and Edge may also work, but if they don’t, please have one of the supported browsers installed.